Wurlitzer 2600 Jukebox Repair Journal and Photos
by Chad Hauris, Retro
Electronics and Audio Lab, Midland, TX. 2/4/06, Updated 2/16/06
This Wurlitzer 2600 had poor sound quality and selection problems when
it came in. We installed an Audio Technica AT-70 magnetic cartridge and
preamp, replaced all capacitors in the amp, and replaced a bad
resistor. A bad 7199 tube was replaced, and we replaced the 12AU7 tubes
with 12AV7's to provide more gain, improving the bass response.
We replaced the power cord, fluorescent ballasts and lighting cords and
all capacitors in the junction box, cleaned and relubricated the
The selection problem was that the number coil would not release once
the selection was made, thus jamming up the mechanism and not allowing
any more selections once the first was made. Cleaning and
re-lubricating the selection ring mechanism and replacing the
capacitors in the junction box solved the problem.
Top open, during repairs.
Front panel open, installing repaired fluorescent lamp sockets.
Replacing capacitors in the amp (top view).
Underside of amp before repairs.
New capacitors in amp.
New capacitors on top of amp.
Underside of junction box before repairs.
Underside of junction box after repairs.
Wurlitzer Jukebox page
Retro Electronics Home Page